DC FanDome has brought us some amazing surprises. We finally got our first look at Rocksteady’s Suicide Squad. The event even started with WB Games Montreal’s reveal of Gotham Knights. We still had a lot of open questions after the event. Luckily, IGN got a chance to interview Gotham Knights’ creative director Patrick Redding and senior producer Fleur Marty. They offered more insight into the game. Here’s a quick summary of what we learned from the interview:
- This will potentially kickstart a new franchise. Redding teased something may already be development.
- Gamestyle will be similar to third-person action-adventure brawlers.
- Special abilities will be linked to an ability tree.
- Characters play different and offer unique modifications and upgrade options. They point out Red Hood as a very unique character.
- Gear is confirmed for the game. This is connected to melee and ranged weapons, as well as suit characteristics.
- The city is open from the start. No level gating when exploring Gotham.
- The game won’t be game-as-service.
- The game can be played as a self-contained story or 2 player co-op.
- The story takes place over multiple nights. Daytime is spent in the “Belfry” headquarter. During these sections, the characters will be out of costume, or at least show their face.
- Alfred is confirmed to be in the game. Will appear in the Belfry.
- Once again confirmed as a separate universe. This was planned since the beginning.
There is a lot to unpack in this short interview. It certainly is a departure from the Batman-heavy Arkham franchise. Gotham Knights will be quite a departure. I cannot wait to get my hands on the game. Already want to play as Red Hood. Also, Court of Owls is always a win.