Welcome to your Monday edition of The Morning After Huddle. It pays to have good friends who can hold you down when life hits. After an unexpected illness last week, D.A. was kind enough to help me out. I’m back with all of your important updates on all things NFL…and unlike your Uncle Steve’s hairline, we are progressing rapidly.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The soap opera that is “Days of Deebo Samuel” finally has an ending. Samuel and the 49ers agreed to a 3-year extension worth $73.5 million, with 58.1 million guaranteed late Sunday. It seems that money covers a multitude of wounds and long gone are the days of wanting to be ex-communicated from the family. Deebo gets his respect and the Niners get their guy.
- Today, we expect news on the Deshaun Watson front. NFL disciplinary officer Sue Robinson will hand down her decision this morning. The NFLPA is not expected to appeal and has encouraged the NFL to do the same. Several outlets are reporting that the suspension could be in the neighborhood of 4-8 games. Apparently, Watson and his camp tried to engage in settlement talks with the NFL in recent days, but neither side seemed happy with the outcome. They are far apart, with Watson’s camp wanting no more than 6-8 games, and the NFL wanting 12 games and a $8 million fine.
- Switching gears, here is your Key Signings Roundup:
- TE Sage Surratt is signing with the Chargers. Surratt most recently played in the USFL for the Birmingham Stallions.
- OT Darryl Williams is signing with the Jaguars. Williams went undrafted in 2020 and spent the last two seasons with the Chiefs and Patriots.
- Ryan Kerrigan will sign a one-day contract to retire a Washington Commander. Kerrigan is hanging up his cleats after 11 seasons.
Thanks for sticking around today for all things you want to know. Catch us Tuesday for more news, hot takes, and insanely terrible analysis that you can’t help but love.