Following the news that DC Studios is developing a new Superman movie with James Gunn penning the script, Henry Cavill has taken to social media to comment on the matter. In an Instagram post shared late Wednesday evening, Cavill confirmed that he will not be returning as Superman, despite being given the okay to announce his return a month earlier.
“I have just had a meeting with James Gunn and Peter Safran and it’s sad news, everyone,” he wrote. “I will, after all, not be returning as Superman. After being told by the studio to announce my return back in October, prior to their hire, this news isn’t the easiest, but that’s life. The changing of the guard is something that happens. I respect that. James and Peter have a universe to build. I wish them and all involved with the new universe the best of luck, and the happiest of fortunes.”
News that Cavill wouldn’t be returning as Superman first came courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter last week. Since then, the actor has been noticeably quiet, more than likely awaiting more information from the studio. Unfortunately, though, it simply wasn’t meant to be.
The actor is said to have been given the option to re-join the DC Universe as a different character down the line. It is unknown, however, whether or not he’ll choose to do so as of this time.