Buckle up, friends! Today’s news is hotter than South Beach, but with less chest hair and Miami Vice suits.
Here’s what you need to know:
- First up, the Miami Dolphins will forfeit a first round draft pick in 2023 and a third round pick in 2024 for violations related to integrity of the game. Owner Stephen Ross will pay $1.5 million in fines and is suspended through October 17th. Vice Chairman/Limited Partner Bruce Beal may not attend any league meetings for the rest of the season and will pay $500,000 in fines. In pursuit of investigating the tanking allegations brought by Brian Flores, it was discovered that the Dolphins tampered with Tom Brady and Sean Payton. Furthermore, the league did not find explicit evidence to support the allegations but did uncover that there are differing recollections about if owner Stephen Ross offered Flores $100,000 to tank and whether the offer was legitimate.
- Next, while Training Camp is exciting, is not without heartbreak. Injuries are plaguing the league, including several that are season-ending. The Falcons, Broncos, Saints, Bills, Colts, Vikings, and Bucs are all reporting impacted players. The full list is available here. Also, reported yesterday: Saints WR Kawaan Baker, a 2021 7th-round pick, will be suspended six games for violating the league’s PED policy.
- Finally, Your Key Signings Roundup has plenty of action:
- K Chris Boswell is signing a new 5-year contract with the Steelers
- LT DJ Humphries is signing a 3-year extension with the Cardinals worth $66.8 million, with $34 million guaranteed
- TE Chris Herndon is expected to sign with the Saints
- The Patriots will sign a pair of DBs: Jalen Elliott and Brad Hawkins
- CB Devin Jones is signing with the Panthers
- The Colts will re-sign C Alex Mollette who previously spent time with the team
- OL Rashaad Coward will sign with the Cardinals
- AFC journeyman Chester Rogers will sign with the Texans
WHEW! Catch your breath. That was a lot, but we have more news you want to know the rest of the week. Brace yourselves. See you tomorrow!