Welcome to another edition of The Morning After Huddle! We’ve been trying to reach you about your car’s extended warranty. (kidding) It’s been another busy day in the NFL with no shortage of headlines. Let’s hop into it.
Here’s what you need to know:
- As expected, the NFL is filing an appeal to the suspension handed down earlier this week to Deshaun Watson. The appeal will be heard by Commissioner Goodell or his designee. There’s a lot to keep up with regarding this case, but we will try to keep it simple:
- The NFLPA now has two business days to respond to the appeal
- Settlement talks could still happen to avoid whatever decision Roger Goodell or his designee could hand down or to avoid going to federal court
- If the case does go to federal court, there will certainly be an uphill battle. There is language in the CBA that essentially protects whatever decision is made regarding the appeal and the evidence already presented by Judge Robinson that Watson violated the personal conduct policy. Not to mention, it’s highly likely Watson could lose more money if this heads to court.
- The NFL is seeking a full year suspension, potentially indefinitely, with a fine
- Next, the Cardinals have been making headlines as of late, but this time it isn’t because Kyler Murray forgot to study. Cardinals WR Marquise “Hollywood” Brown is charged with criminal speeding. Reports indicate that Brown was speeding in excess of 85 mph. The charge carries a sentence of up to 30 days in jail, a fine up to $500 and/or up to one year of probation.
- Lastly, your Key Signings Roundup:
Thanks for hanging out with us today! We will be back for Football Friday, with more news you want to know. We know it’s hard, but try not to miss us.