Welcome to your Football Friday edition of The Morning After Huddle. Back up the Brinks truck! It’s not Friday night, but Kyler Murray just got paid. (Shoutout to you if you caught that song reference.)
Here’s what you need to know:
- There are 230 million reasons why Kyler Murray is the happiest man in Arizona. Murray and the Cardinals agreed to a five-year $230 million dollar contract that includes $160 million in guarantees. This ties Kyler to the organization through 2028 and his yearly average will amount to a whopping $46+ million. This is quite the haul for a QB who’s only been in the league 3 years, but teams are quickly finding out that you need to pay your key pieces or someone else will.
- Training camps are underway and so are the injuries. The Giants, Jets, Pats, Falcons, Saints and Raiders are lining up to place players on the PUP list, including 5 players in Foxboro alone (They can’t blame this on the TB12 program). Some key names to watch will be Michael Thomas of the Saints, James White of the Pats, and Mekhi Becton of the Jets. A full run down of injuries can be found here.
- Finally, your Key Signings Roundup has plenty of action:
- The Browns are signing QB Josh Rosen to a 1-year deal.
- OT David Sharpe is signing with the Ravens
- TE Sal Cannela will sign with the Green Bay Packers
- The Raiders are signing Safety Matthias Farley
- DB Craig James is signing with the Jets
- The recently retired Jason McCourty is joining “Good Morning Football” starting Monday, July 25th.
- Andrew Whitworth, who also recently retired, is joining Aqib Talib on “Thursday Night Football.”
Thanks for breaking down the huddle with us today! You know the drill: grab your Saturday morning coffee and join us for more news you want to know tomorrow.