Last September, it was announced that Game of Thrones showrunners, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, were developing an adaption of The Three-Body Problem for Netflix. The adaption was the first project announced by the duo under their new overall mega deal with Netflix. Since the news first hit, details regarding the series adaption have been rather sparse. We know that Derek Tsang (Better Days) will direct the drama, and actress Eiza Gonzalez will lead the series. Details beyond those, though, have been slim… until today.
- We here at Murphy’s Multiverse have a small bit of news we can share, though, with fans of Liu Cixin’s sci-fi book trilogy The Three-Body Problem. The Netflix series is currently looking to cast to cast unspecified roles.
- The first role calls for a Female Lead between the ages of 25-35. This actor will need to be of Chinese heritage, a scientist and a fluent English speaker. It’s a lead role with options. Should the series stay close to the book and, assuming Eiza isn’t portraying a different version of the character, this could perhaps be for the role of Ye Wenjie. (This, of course, is merely a guess!)
- The second role calls for a Female Lead between the ages of 70-85. This actor will need to be of Chinese heritage, a scientist and a fluent English speaker. This is also for a lead role with options.
- The third role is for a Female Lead between the ages of 25-35. The actor will need to be of Hispanic/Latino heritage and speak English fluently. The character is described as a scientist and the role is a lead role with options.
- The fourth role is for Male Lead between the ages of 25-35. The actor will need to be of Indian/South Asian heritage and British. The character is said to be powerful, charismatic and clever. This is for a lead role with options.
- The fifth role is for a Male Lead between the ages of 25-35. The casting grid calls specifically for a Black actor. The character is described as a scientist, who isn’t necessarily a nerd, who is smart and laid back. He’s also said to have leading man charisma, who finds himself in extraordinary circumstances.
- The final two roles being cast are for Male Leads, both between the ages of 50-70. These are only described as Military/Ex- Military.
The Three-Body Problem is based on the book series by . The series includes Remembrance of Earth’s Past, The Dark Forest and Death’s End.
Production on The Three-Body Problem is expected to kick off in November in the UK.